Tuesday 16 July 2013

Here is a letter I have written to various media in Calgary. I am concerned that well intentioned people, are not being diligent in  their efforts to help the thousands of flood victims in Alberta.
I'm afraid I haven't been diligent in keeping this blog current, but sometimes something very important dictates that I get off my butt and say something. If you appreciate this please ask your friends to check out this blog.


News Department/Editor
I have a very serious concern about all of the fundraising for the Alberta Flood Relief. No, I am not against helping the unfortunate victims, but I am against feeding greed.

For whatever reason everyone wanting to donate to the Flood Relief Effort has been directed to the Red Cross, and therein lies my concern. A number of years ago we lost a trailer in the Pine Lake tornado. Many people we know made donations to the Red Cross Pine Lake project at that time thinking it would directly help  the Pine Lake victims. We, as well as the majority of people received zero help from the Red Cross. When we inquired, we were told that the Red Cross only meets emergency needs. They may supply shelter, food and clothing on an emergency needs basis. All of the people involved had homes elsewhere, and apart from some emergency shelter for that night didn't qualify for assistance. Most of the funds collected in the name of Pine Lake Relief went into the Red Cross general fund.

We tried to do some research after that, but the Red Cross is very guarded, and selective in their speech. Unless the Red Cross have changed their policies, I suspect that the Alberta Flood Relief fund is merely another fundraising opportunity to channel more money into their general fund. The Stampede made a very generous donation, and plans are in the works to hold concerts where the proceeds go to the Flood Relief. Before any additional donation money is given to the Red Cross, a written commitment needs to be obtained guaranteeing that all of the proceeds will be distributed among the flood victims, and not on an emergency only basis as the emergency has passed, and people need funding help to rebuild their lives. They also need to publish a financial statement for the Alberta Relief Fund, showing how much was donated and collected by the Red Cross for this project, and detailed disbursements of the funds.

There are many people in Alberta who have lost homes, businesses, cars and jobs. Alberta has a reputation for being generous and caring for their neighbors and friends, and I suspect that most, if not all expect that the money will go to helping the victims rebuild. We could probably never raise enough to restore everyone to their pre-flood condition, but at least it can help. If the Red Cross can't or wont give the guarantees, and use the funds in a way we expect, then a trust fund should be created and administered in a transparent way.

I am not waging a campaign against the Red Cross, I simply want to ensure the real victims get genuine and practical support. I can't in all conscience give money that won't do what is represented. I will help, as I can, the unfortunate ones who have lost considerable with little or no protection through insurance.

Dennis Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment