Friday 29 April 2011

Why Cowtown

I have started this Blog because I am frustrated with regular media. I live in Calgary, Alberta and following the November municipal elections I was disturbed by the immediate comments of the Mayor Elect. He cast a negative impression of my beloved Calgary, and I wrote what I thought was a fair response to his comments and the press wouldn't publish it. There fore I will start this blog with the following editorial that couldn't/wouldn't be published by the mainstream press. Here is the article:

Open Letter to Mr. Nenshi
I feel, Mr. Nenshi that you need to reflect on the reality of this election and hopefully adjust your attitude. You were quoted as saying that this election "showed the world that Calgary is not the same old Cowtown".  Excuse me Mr. Mayor–to-be, but this really is a disturbing comment on the first day after the election. You were actually elected by a minority or Calgarians. If either of the other two candidates had withdrawn, you would have run a very poor second, but you will be the Mayor and as such you must still represent ALL of Calgarians fairly. This means supporting our western heritage and culture. Many of us here like our “Cowtown” image and certainly don’t see any negatives in it. It represents our heritage, and having seen our Canadian heritage whittled away by past governments it needs to be encouraged with vigor. I would suggest that the first thing you should do is go and buy yourself a white cowboy hat, the symbol for Calgary, wear it proudly, and encourage all Calgarians to take part in every activity that promotes our western heritage, and indeed show the world that nothing is going to change. That would at least give the majority of us some peace of mind. Forget what the world thinks, you are to represent CALGARY.      

After you read this you will understand the reason for the Blog name of "My Cowtown"

As I go forward I will be expressing my feelings and frustrations about all government in general, and I hope you will contribute your own opinions. It is time public figures listened to the people for whom they work.

My Cowtown

No comments:

Post a Comment